My Shopping List
Courtesy of National Cherry Growers
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 35 Min.
Chill Time: 30 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 c. butter or margarine, softened
+ 1/3 c. (1/3 of an 8 oz. pkg.) cream cheese, softened
+ 2 c. all-purpose flour
+ 3/4 c. granulated sugar (additional for garnish)
+ 1 (16 oz.) pkg. (about 1 3/4 c.) frozen sweet cherries
+ 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
+ 2 Tbsp. water
+ 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
+ egg wash (1 egg whisked with 2 Tbsp. cold milk or water)
What to do:
1. For pastry- beat butter and cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth. Add flour and sugar; beat on low speed until crumbly. Turn mixture onto floured board; knead until dough forms. Cover and set aside while preparing filling.
2. For filling- coarsely chop frozen cherries. Combine sugar and cornstarch; mix well. Combine chopped cherries and sugar mixture in a medium saucepan.
3. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 5 min., or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in walnuts.
4. Let cool in refrigerator 30 min.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1/3 of dough into a 10 in. circle. Spread dough with about 1/2 c. cherry filling, leaving a 1/2 in. border. Cut circle into 8 wedge-shape pieces. Roll up dough, beginning at wide end of each wedge.
6. Place cookies, tip side down, about 2 in. apart on lightly greased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush each cookie lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
7. Bake in a preheated 350 °F oven 15 to 20 min., or until golden brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
These classic cookies have a sweet cherry filling in a rich cream cheese pastry.