My Shopping List
Wisconsin Gouda, Asparagus and Mushroom Omelet
Courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 4 medium-sized, fresh morel mushrooms+ (see below)
+ 3 spears jumbo asparagus
+ 4 large eggs
+ 2 Tbsp. crème fraiche or sour cream
+ salt and pepper to taste
+ 4 tsp. grapeseed or canola oil
+ 2 tsp. unsalted butter
+ 4 thin slices Gouda cheese, 1/2 oz. each
*Substitute shitake or portobello mushrooms if morels are unavailable.
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to broil. Clean the mushrooms and cut into 1/4 in. rings (strips if using shiitakes or portobellos). Trim the asparagus, peel the bottom 4 in., and cut thinly on the bias.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, crème fraîche, salt, and pepper. (Makes about 1 c.)
3. In nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp. of the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the mushrooms until fully cooked, about 2 min. Season with salt and pepper; set aside. Repeat the process with the asparagus. Set aside.
4. In an 8 in. nonstick omelet pan, melt 1 tsp. of the butter over medium-high heat. Add half of the egg mixture. Using a rubber spatula, lift the cooked egg at the edges, tilting the pan so the uncooked egg flows to the exposed pan. Cook until eggs are set but still shiny. Remove from the heat. Spoon half of the vegetables onto one half of the cooked eggs. Flip the uncovered half over the vegetables. Roll onto a small baking pan. Repeat with the remaining egg mixture and vegetables.
5. When both servings have cooked, place 2 thin slices of cheese on top of each omelet. Place the pan under the broiler until the cheese is just melted. Serve immediately.