My Shopping List
Hoisin Orange Pork Asian Vegetable
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 15 MIn.
Cook Time: 15 Min.
Chill Time: 15 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 3/4 lb. boneless pork chops, trimmed of fat, cut into very thin strips (350 g)
+ 1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (15 mL)
+ 3 Tbsp. unsalted, dry roasted peanuts, toasted and finely chopped (45 mL)
+ 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced diagonally
+ 2 c. small broccoli florets (500 mL)
+ 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-in. wedges
+ 1/4 c. water (60 mL)
+ 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) plus 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil, divided
+ 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce (45 mL)
+ 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar (30 mL)
+ 1 Tbsp. sugar (15 mL)
+ 2 tsp. orange zest (10 mL)
+ 1/4 tsp. dried red pepper flakes (1 mL)
What to do:
1. Place pork strips on a dinner plate, spoon 1 Tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce over all, and toss to coat well. Let stand 15 min. in the refrigerator.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add nuts and cook 2 - 3 min. or until they begin to brown, stirring frequently. Place on a separate plate and set aside.
3. Place carrots, broccoli, onion, and water in a microwave-safe shallow pan, such as a glass pie pan, cover, and microwave on high power 2 min. or until vegetables are just tender crisp. Drain in a colander, shaking off any excess liquid.
4. Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Tilt skillet to coat lightly, add pork, and cook 3 min. or until lightly pink in the center and juices run clear, using two utensils to toss easily. Set aside on a separate plate.
5. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp canola oil, add vegetables, and cook 4 min. or until tender crisp and beginning to lightly brown on the edges. Place vegetables on a serving platter. Add pork and any accumulated juices to skillet, cook 30 sec. to heat thoroughly, and place on top of vegetables on serving platter. Add sauce to skillet and cook 20-30 sec. to heat, stirring constantly, until reduced slightly. Spoon over pork and sprinkle with nuts. Serve immediately for peak flavors and texture.
Serving size: 1 1/4 c.
Recipe courtesy of "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen"
For more information, please visit: canolainfo.org/heartsmart
Calories: 275; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 45mg; Total Carbs: 17g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 20g; Sodium: 370mg;